Saturday, January 5, 2013

Glass Half Empty

Dad is TEMPORARILY not with us anymore. At least not in the way that we would prefer. Thankfully this blog is here to help preserve memories of him, especially the things that we may have personally forgot. There have been several posts that have reminded me of things that I never would have remembered on my own.

Now that we are all parents too, we get to experience some of the same things that Dad did about 30 years ago. I often get in situations with my own kids that make me wonder, What would Dad have done? Just the other day my own kids helped bring back a small memory of Dad that will hopefully make you smile.

Sitting at the dinner table a couple of days ago, Elijah asked if I could pour him some juice. (Memories of Dad begin to stir) I grab the juice and proceed to pour a miniscule amount of juice into his cup. He looks at me like I'm crazy and asks for more. I poured a slight amount in his cup a couple more times until he gets annoyed. Then I proceed to fill his cup to the point that will make it impossible for him to get it to his mouth without spilling. I feel like that exact scenario was played out at every meal with Dad. And I think poor Tammy was almost always the victim.

I think one special thing about Dad was that a joke NEVER got old to him. Even if it hadn't produced a laugh in years, he would still proceed with his predictable joke and probably laugh at himself. Well it might have been awhile, but I think Dads old joke actually made me laugh once more.

3 comments:

  1. Great memory. This one I forgot about. I'm going to have run this one on my kids a few times.
    I know exactly what you're talking about when you say that a joke never got old to dad. He would run a prank or joke into the ground so hard that eventually it would be funny again just because it was so over done. I love it because I feel like I do the same thing to my kids now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I opened the refrigerator the other day and reached for a box of truffles but when I opened it, it was empty. Memories of Rick flooded over me. I wanted to turn around and see him sitting there with that grin on his face. By the way, who did it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's comment reminded me of all the times he would leave a 2 liter of pop in the fridge with only a swallow left in it...or the ice cream box with only a bite left. If he did actually leave enough pop for a drink, he would have the cap screwed on so tight that only he could open it. By the way, dad would hate the I used the work "fridge" above....he hated abbreviations....it's a refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete