Thursday, November 22, 2012

Black Turkey Dinner

With all the talk about turkeys a memory came to me about the time we decided to deep fry a turkey.  I believe it was on Easter and my whole family was coming over.  I got everything ready and put Rick in charge of dipping the turkey and timing it.   When there was only a few minutes left for it to cook  we gathered around our kitchen table.  We were all sitting there just anxiously awaiting the arrival of the turkey.  A few minutes later Rick walked in with a very black turkey on a pan.  I'll never forget the look on his face. I think he was sort of smiling and I even think he thought it was funny.  At first everyone was quiet but soon we all broke out into laughter.  At first my heart sank, wondering what we would do for meat, but soon I was laughing also.  We decided to peel off the black skin and see how the meat was.  To our surprise, the meat was juicy and tender.  Later we were told that you have to use peanut oil not Wesson oil to fry the turkey. Oh well, all turned out OK and it is a good memory. Carla

1 comment:

  1. I think we were all on edge wondering if you or dad were going to get mad! What else could ya do but laugh about it?! Thankfully, it was a very good turkey! But, did dad ever deep fry a turkey again?

    ReplyDelete