Sunday, November 4, 2012

Driver's Training

I had just received my learner's permit.  We had the maroon Astro mini-van at the time.  I can remember how excited I was to drive with dad and show him my awesome driving skills.  Dad, of course, was not going to make it easy on me.  He faked being jumpy and scared most of the time (or maybe he really wasn't faking it...who knows).

I remember pulling up to the 4 way stop at 96th & Ottogan.  As I came to a stop, dad flung himself forward, knocking his head on the windshield.  He never missed a beat when he gathered himself and turned to me and said, "Oh, it's okay Tam.  You'll get better."

Next, as I turned the corner, he actually leaned over and fell out of his seat and onto the floor between the two front seats.  He again gathered himself up, turned to me and calmly said, "It's okay Tam.  I'm ok.  Keep working on it."

I don't know if dad did this to the boys when they had their learner's permit or if it was just me.  Of course, he probably didn't have to pretend to be scared with the boys (Bryan), since I do remember following Bry and dad after Bryan first got his permit.  It was at the same stop sign.  First, Bryan waved every single car at the 4 way stop thru before he would finally go (I can only imagine dad's patience being tested there).  Then, when he finally proceeded to go, the Jeep screeched and jerked and jumped a bunch of times and then I truly believe it actually popped a wheelie right there in the intersection.  Mom and I laughed so hard.  If dad fell out of the seat on that one, it wasn't fake!

Anyway, I can't wait to embarrass my kids this way some day!!

1 comment:

  1. First time I ever drove a vehicle in my life was with Dad. We were down on the gravel section of 104th by the river. He was walking along the road, probably looking for salmon, and soon he was far away from that very very bright red work van of his. He sent me to go get it and drive over to him. I was eleven or twelve years old and didn't even know how to turn the key or put it in gear. Eventually i figured it out, but apparently he didn't even dare ride in the vehicle with me.

    ReplyDelete