Wednesday, December 12, 2012

From Larry Kleinheksel
I have a lot of memories of Rick, here are a few . He was the strongest guy that I have ever seen, he would help anyone when needed, he never wanted his picture taken, he loved to hunt and fish, he loved his family and here is a memory I will never forget.
In August of 2012 my dad needed some help with putting a walkway on his boat lift at Silver Lake. He said that Rick had it all planned out and he had bought the wood and screws needed to do the job. Rick would also be there to supervise the job. I thought this would be an easy little job that would take an hour or so. (Boy was I wrong)
I was told that Rick would have all the tools and Carla would also be there to help if needed. I believe it was a Saturday morning when we all were ready to go, Rick told me to just carry his tool holder to the dock. Well that was just great, Rick’s tool holder weighs about 150 pounds which was a piece of cake for Rick, but for a 64 year old guy with a bad back it was pure torture. I did get it to the dock and we got all the supplies there also. Carla got Rick a lawn chair to sit on while he barked out the orders!!
This was a new side of Rick that I have never seen before, you see usually we had Rick do the work but now it was me, Dad and Carla in the water with Rick as our supervisor and I believe Rick loved it!!
First we had to rip a 2 by 10 length wise with a circular saw that Rick provided, ( I swore he put a dull blade on it on purpose) We spent the next 2 hours ripping the boards with a constant barking Rick telling us that he could of done it in 10 minutes. ( Maybe he could of , but the board was water logged and we had a very dull blade put on by Rick) Next we had to attach the boards to the lift with self-tapping screws that Rick said would be a piece of cake!! After another two hours and Ricking barking out orders we did finish the job. I can remember telling Dad let’s just put in 3 screws instead of the four Rick wanted. I remember dropping one in the water and telling my Dad that’s one less we need to do!! Rick barked out to me,” Larry fish that screw off the bottom of the lake” we don’t cut corners when I am in charge. Yes sir, I will do it your way!!
We had a lot of fun that day, and guess who took the 150 pound tool holder back to the truck, Not wimpy Larry but my sister Carla!!
Love you Rick
I miss you!!
Lar

1 comment:

  1. That sure was quite a day. I wish I had taken a picture of him sitting there on the dock, in his lawn chair, with his unbrella just shouting out orders to all of us. You sure had a lot of patience! I was wondering why I got stuck carrying that heavy tool bag back!

    ReplyDelete