Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My 9 year old nephew Jacob is deaf. For the last few years my sister (Jacob's mom) has encouraged our family to learn sign language to be able to communicate with him. I made a couple of attempts, but it just seemed like I was always too busy. I thought about taking a class, thinking the accountability involved in taking a class might help, but didn't know of any being offered in our area. Meanwhile, I tried to communicate with Jake the best that I could. I would point, gesture, etc. Still, there was so much I wanted to say to him.
Then a class was offered at Hope College, and my sister told me about it. I was both excited and scared at the same time. It was at this time that Rick passed away. I was busy with the funeral, but the deadline for signing up for the class was also about that time. As I thought about both, it dawned on me that Rick was someone who helped others as a deacon and as a Christian. It inspired me to signup for the class, because it was one thing I could do to help Jake know that someone else cared for him enough to start learning his language.
At the last class, Jacob made a special trip to be there. He signed a "thank you" to me. It was a great joy to have him say that. Since then, we've been able to talk more. It takes me longer to understand what he is saying than it takes for him to understand me. The other night my mom was going to drop me off to where my car was parked and Jacob said to me "there it is" but it took me about a block to figure out what he said. Still, I feel like I am starting down a good road with my good buddy Jake, and I don't know if that would have happened if I hadn't connected Rick's love for helping others with the challenge that was before me at the time.
Thanks Rick,
Pastor Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment