Tuesday, October 9, 2012


I remember the time, years ago, when our families were camping at the Christian Reformed Conference Grounds. We must have all been in elementary school or younger. During a worship service at the campground, the pastor invited all the kids forward for a children’s message. The pastor had a single prop, a plastic laundry basket. He invited one kid to enter the basket and try to lift himself, from within the basket, off the ground. The kid obviously couldn’t lift himself into the air. The pastor then looked at the rest of us and asked if any of us believed we could succeed in lifting ourselves off the ground. Bryan responded with an enthusiastic “My dad could do it!” As the congregation laughed, the Pastor replied, “Oh, yeah? You think your dad could lift himself in the basket?” “Absolutely, my dad is so strong he could lift this entire church” came Bryan’s reply. “Really? And where is your dad?” the Pastor asked while scanning the laughing crowd, seeing if anyone would actually dare admit to being this almighty parent. I looked straight to Rick, wondering how he would respond. I still laugh thinking about what I saw. Rick, sitting in his comfortable style, arms across his chest. Then, that smile. The smile I’ve only seen Rick give. I’m lost for words that would adequately portray that smile. It’s almost as though it’s a smile thats actually an attempt to hold back a full out laugh. It was the smile of a man who was proud of his children and that was uncomfortable with the idea of being the center of attention. I like this image because I think it’s fitting. Rick loved life and loved his family. It was apparent to everyone that he enjoyed his life. Yet, Rick didn’t need to be in the center. He didn’t need everyone’s eyes on him. He would rather sit back and enjoy his family. I respect that.

I also just want to let you know that we are continuing to pray for you and your family.

Grace,

Jeremy

3 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! Thanks for the great memory Jeremy. I only vaguely remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeremy! That's one more of those memories I forgot about. I love to be reminded of those hilarious times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That memory completely slipped my mind. Awesome post! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete